Todd Telander Biography
Art and the study of nature have been dual passions for Todd Telander since his childhood in rural Chico, California. Born in 1967, he began to seriously focus on art as a career while attending the University of California at Santa Cruz. There, he earned degrees in Environmental Studies and Biology, completed a graduate-level program in scientific illustration, and immediately began work as a freelance artist on a national and international level. He has since studied fine art independently in several western states and was awarded an artist’s residency at Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado. For the past twenty-five years he has made his living as an artist, illustrator, and teacher.
His diverse artistic path---which has included commercial illustration, portraiture, wildlife art, expressionism, and abstract art--- has enriched all of his current work. Moving beyond the simple representation of nature, he is more interested in creating a mood and evoking an emotion through his paintings. He finds that simple subjects can often be the most beautiful, when portrayed with a sensitive eye to tone, composition and light. His latest work involves oil paintings of rural scenes near his home in eastern Washington, portraits, still lifes, and wildlife.
Telander's work has been published and reproduced internationally, and is represented in the print market by McGaw Graphics of New York. He operates a studio at his home in Walla Walla where he paints and teaches art. He and his wife, Kirsten Telander, recently opened their own gallery, the Telander Gallery, that features Todd's work. Commissions are welcome, and studio visits are available by appointment.
Selected Exhibitions (*solo show)
2014-2018 *Telander Gallery, Walla Walla, WA
2016 Verum Ultimum Gallery, Portland, OR
Cougar Crest Winery, Walla Walla, WA
2015 Wallowa Valley Fine Arts Festival, Joseph, OR.
2013 *Tero Estates Winery, Milton-Freewater, OR.
2012 *Seven Hills Winery, Walla Walla, WA
2010-2011 Park Trails Gallery, Park City, Utah
2009 *Brasserie Four, Walla Walla, WA
Willow Gallery, Walla Walla, WA
2008 Wallowa Valley Fine Arts Festival, Joseph, Oregon
2007 *Woodward Canyon Winery, Lowden, WA
*Verve, Walla Walla, WA
26 brix, Walla Walla, WA
*Luscious by Nature, Walla Walla, WA
2006 *Seven Hills Winery, Walla Walla, WA
2005 *Brickstone Gallery, Walla Walla, WA
Silverwood Gallery, Burton, WA
Skylite Gallery, Walla Walla, WA
Carnegie Art Center, Walla Walla, WA
*Arosa Gallery, Seattle, WA
*Terrance McBride Gallery, Vashon, WA
2004 *Randall Davey Audubon Center, Santa Fe, NM
Hensley Gallery Southwest, Taos, NM
Ranchos Trading Post, Taos, NM
2003-2004 Shriver Gallery, Taos, NM
2002 *New Grounds Gallery, Taos, NM
2001 *private exhibition, La Jolla, CA
1999-2001 *Vanity, Eureka, CA
2000 *Eureka District Office of the Assemblymember, Eureka, CA
Harbinger Gallery, Arnold, CA
Harbinger Gallery, Arcata, CA
American Birding Association convention, Fort Collins, CO
1999 *Galerie by the Sea, Trinidad, CA
Trinidad Art Gallery, Trinidad, CA
1998 *Arcata Marsh Interpretive Center, Arcata, CA
American Birding Association convention, McAllen, TX
1997 Linton/Haslam Gallery, Boulder, CO
*Open Studio exhibit, Boulder, CO
1996 Mirage Gallery, Albuquerque, NM
Key Bank Gallery, Denver, CO
American Birding Association convention, Park City, UT
1995 Von Eschen Gallery, Boulder, CO
*NCAR Gallery, Boulder, CO
Pelican Festival, Greeley, CO
1992-1995 Montgomery House Gallery, Boulder, CO
1994 Festival of the Cranes, Socorro, NM
1994 Stuhr Museum, Grand Island, NE
1993 Stuhr Museum, Grand Island, NE
1992 *Artistry Gallery, Chico, CA
*Natural Bridges State Park, Santa Cruz, CA
Awards and Honors
2015 First Place (painting), Pendleton Center for the Arts, Pendleton, OR.
2014-2013 Chief Juror, Walla Walla County Fair Art Exhibit. Annual regional juried art show.
2005 Best of Show, Wallowa Valley Fine Arts Festival. Annual national juried art show. Joseph, Oregon.
2005 Merit Award, Carnegie Art Center. Annual regional juried art show. Walla Walla, WA.
2003 Scholarship. Oil painting study with master painter, Ray Vinella. Taos Institute of Arts, Taos, NM.
2003 and 1999 Aleutian Goose Festival poster award. Crescent City, CA.
1999 National Outdoor Book Awards Winner, Nature Guidebook Category.
1996 Artist in Residence. Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park, CO.
Best of Show. Pelican Festival, Greeley, CO.
1994 Merit Award; Wildlife. Stuhr Museum, Grand Island, NE.
1993 Merit Award; Landscape. Stuhr Museum, Grand Island, NE.
2009-2016 Telander Art School, Private Art Classes in portraiture, still life, and landscape, Walla Walla, Washington.
2014 Plein Air Painting in the Walla Walla Valley, Private Workshop, Walla Walla, Washington.
2013 My Life as a Bird Artist, Lecture and booksigning. Seattle University Bookstore, Seattle, Washington.
2007 Photorealism in the Arts, Walla Walla College, College Place, Washington.
2006 Sketching Birds in the Field, Sandhill Crane Festival, Othello, Washington.
2005 Sketching Birds in the Field, Grays Harbor Birding Festival, Hoquiam, Washington.
2003 Lectures on a Taos Artist, University of Southern Colorado, Taos Extension, Taos.
2001 Sketching Birds in the Field, Aleutian Goose Festival, Crescent City, California.
1990 University of California, Santa Cruz.
Bachelor of Arts with honors in Environmental Studies.
Bachelor of Arts with highest honors in Biology. Emphases in natural history, ornithology.
Graduate class series in Natural Science Illustration.
Guild of Natural Science Illustrators, Illustrating workshop. Seattle, WA.
Art Students League, Denver, CO. Classes with Kim English and Mel Carter.
Naropa Institute, Boulder, CO.
Loveland Academy of Art, Loveland, CO. Bird sculpture with Sandy Scott.
2003 Taos Institute of Arts, Taos, NM. Workshop with Ray Vinella.
2005 Main Street Art School, Walla Walla, WA.
2008 Fredericksburg Art School, Fredericksburg, TX. Workshop with Michael Workman.
2015 Whidbey Island Fine Art School, Langley, WA. Workshop with Robert Liberace.
• Rice University, Dallas, Texas.
• Othello Condominium Project, Seattle, Washington.
• The Aldo Leopold Center, Wisconsin.
• Maui Ocean Center, Maui, Hawaii.
• Globe Pequot Press, Guliford, Connecticut.
• Assiniboine Natural History Mueseum, Winnipeg, Canada.
• Woodward Canyon Winery, Lowden, Washington.
• Abeja Winery, Walla Walla, Washington.
• The Nature Conservancy, Arlington, Virginia.
• American Bird Conservancy, Washington, D.C.
• Defenders of Wildlife, Washington D.C.
• Salamander Books, London, England.
• Henry Holt & Co., New York, New York.
• American Birding Association, Colorado Springs, Colorado.
• Bird Watcher's Digest Magazine, Marietta, OH.
• Bruce McGaw Graphics, West Nyack, New York.
• Hurtig Publishers, Alberta, Canada.
• Wildlands Project, Richmond, Vermont.
• Denver Museum of Natural History, Denver, Colorado.
• Denver Zoo, Denver, Colorado.
• University of Chicago Press, Chicago, Illinois.
• J.G. Shedd Aquarium, Chicago, Illinois.
• Michael Friedman Publishing Group, New York, New York.
• Audubon Society, Northern California Region, Eureka, California.
• Golden Gate National Parks Association, San Francisco, California.
• Falcon Press, Helena, Montana.
• Greenpeace, USA.
• Artistic Greetings, Elmira, New York.
• R & G Banknote, Milford, New Hampshire.
• Pine Creek Graphics, Missoula, Montana.
• Nature’s Time, Inc., Boulder, Colorado.
• The Marine Mammal Center, Sausalito, California.
• KGO-TV, San Francisco, California.
• ABC Electronic Arts, San Mateo, California.
• Bloomin’ Flower Cards, Boulder, Colorado.
• Monterey Bay Aquarium, Monterey, California.
• HML Enterprises, Hoodsport, WA.